Drivers licensed outside NYS

Did you receive a speeding ticket in New York and your driver’s license is from another state or province?

If you receive a speeding ticket here in New York, reciprocal agreements exist that require the convictions to be reported from New York to almost all of the States  (Department of Motor Vehicles, Registry of Motor Vehicles, etc.) and Provinces ( Ministry of Transportation.)

According to the AAMVA*, New York State participates in the Nonresident Violator Compact and/or the Interstate Drivers’ License Compact which states that the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles will inform the following states of speeding and traffic ticket convictions and suspensions.** 

New Hampshire
New Jersey
North Carolina
South Carolina

New York also has an agreement to exchange information with the Canadian licensing agencies in the Provinces of Ontario and Quebec.

So not only will the conviction cost you a Court fine plus a New York State surcharge, but you may also be subject to an insurance increase and points on your driving record.  If the conviction results in 6 points or more within an 18 month period, you may be required to pay a NYS Driver’s Responsibility Assessment.

You should also be aware that if you fail to respond to the ticket, the Court will notify the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (NYS DMV), and the NYS DMV, will notify your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles, Registry of Motor Vehicles, or Ministry of Transportation to suspend your driver’s license

I have successfully represented driver’s who receive speeding and traffic tickets in New York who are licensed outside the state of New York.  I would be willing to provide you a free telephone consultation to discuss your specific situation in the New York Traffic Courts. ***

Important note, I am not licensed to practice law outside the state of New York, so I cannot provide a legal opinion on the laws of your state or province. I suggest you contact both a New York State speeding and traffic ticket attorney and an attorney, insurance agent or the department of motor vehicles from your state or province.

*American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators
** This is not the complete list, check with your state’s licensing agency to see if New York convictions will transfer to your home state license.
***”Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.”